“Don’t risk your life with a barbecue inside your tent or caravan”

Charity’s president makes plea to all “MP's” to warn "their constituents" not to take barbeque grills into tents and caravans.

Lynn GriffithsLynn Griffiths, founder of the charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness, is calling for manufacturers of barbecue grills to put warning notices about the danger of carbon monoxide on them to stop the public from taking them into tents, caravan, campervan, or their homes.

The warning follows several recent tragedies in which campers have lost their lives after taking barbecues into tents or caravans for warmth. Carbon monoxide (CO) is difficult to detect because it is colourless and has no taste or smell. People often don’t realise that they are being overcome by fumes until it is too late.

Carbon Monoxide Awareness President Lynn Griffiths said: “Nobody should ever take a lit or barbecue into a tent, caravan, campervan or their home. To do so is courting disaster, but the public don’t seem to be aware of this and sadly there have been a number of tragedies and several near misses this year" Lynn is asking for the support of “every” MP to prevent this from happening again this weekend or during the Diamond Jubilee celebrations to one of their constituents weather they are taking a break home or away.

Exposure to the gas reduces the blood’s capacity to carry oxygen, thereby causing the vital organs to fail. Early symptoms are similar to flu, but these worsen as more of the gas is breathed in and Carbon monoxide concentrations in the blood increase. Anyone who suspects that they may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning should turn off all appliances, go outside and seek help from a qualified healthcare professional.

Lynn held a meeting to discuss carbon monoxide safety during caravan, camping, music festivals, or holiday breaks last March. However the charity will be holding a much bigger meeting this July to officially launch its "Cozy but Deadly" poster. Several areas are already backing this campaign and using the charity's poster.

Lynn is keen to take the "Be Carbon monoxide Aware Camping and Caravan Sites Register" national due to more and more incident being reported. Lynn believes with the support of every MP, local and national press and media she can do this.

Please help us to prevent yet another family from losing a loved one to this silent killer! www.covictim.org

General advice

A lit or smouldering barbecue should never be taken into a tent, caravan or campervan.

Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) powered appliances should be serviced by a Gas Safe registered engineer who is qualified to work with LPG.

Solid fuel appliances should be serviced by a solid fuel HETAS registered engineer.

Oil fuelled appliances should be serviced by an OFTEC registered engineer.

For their personal safety, holiday-makers should buy an audible carbon monoxide alarm that meets British or European Standards (BS EN 50291).

‘CO’ is the chemical symbol for carbon monoxide

Lynn Griffiths, President of Carbon monoxide Awareness may be contacted via the charity’s website: www.covictim.org. Lynn was poisoned by Carbon monoxide along with her family for over a decade in their new home. This is why she set up the charity CO-Awareness and founded the national Carbon Monoxide Awareness week.

Carbon Monoxide Awareness is a registered charity which is holding on by the skin of its teeth due to lack of funding. However it is calling for all barbeque grills to carry warnings about the danger of carbon monoxide.

The charity's campaign is being supported by (CFOA) The Chief Fire Officers' Association. http://www.cfoa.org.uk/12803

Anyone wanting information on the national "Camping and Caravanning Carbon Monoxide Register" should contact Lynn by email: Lynn@covictim.org The launch event is due to take place on Tuesday 10th July 2012 from the House of Commons.

The charity's Carbon monoxide Awareness Community Group will launch Tuesday 3rd July 2012 from the House of Lords. This group is aimed at those sent by their employer to visit someone in their own home. Please email: Lynn@covictim.org for more info.

The charity’s Carbon monoxide Awareness Healthcare Group launched in April 2011. Next meeting September /October Please email: Lynn@covictim.org for more info.

The charity's 7th Carbon monoxide Awareness week starts Monday 19th November 2012. Please add this to your diaries and contact Lynn nearer the time for information. The launch event will once again take place from the House of Lords. Please email: Lynn@covictim.org for more info.

The Charity is also aiming to put together a Carbon Monoxide Awareness victims group. This will launch later this year/early next.

This press release is presented for your information only.

Full Disclosure Statement: The GREEN (LIVING) REVIEW received no compensation for any component of this article.

This article is for your information only and the GREEN (LIVING) REVIEW does not (necessarily) approve, endorse or recommend the product, service or company mentioned.