The Green Cone is a backyard solar digester that reduces 90% of food waste

the_Green_Cone.jpg.662x0_q70_crop-scale

This ingenious digester/composter, made in Ontario, is the simple, natural way to divert food waste from landfills.

No matter how much I think about reducing food waste while shopping and cooking, there will always be food scraps left over. My town does not have green bins or organic waste collection of any kind, which means that each household is responsible for dealing with the piles of food waste generated on a daily basis – and I always have a lot, since I cook so much.

There was a time when I tossed it in with the household garbage, but eventually I installed a regular black box-style composter. While I loved having a place to put most of the food scraps, there were still plenty of items that could not go in, ending up in the trash instead.

Then I discovered the Green Cone. More of a food digester than a composter, this ingenious device is designed and produced in Ontario, Canada since 1988. The Green Cone, which is made of plastic, has a cone-shaped top and an attached basket that gets buried underground below the cone. You dump food scraps into the top, via a hinged lid, and they fall down into the basket. There, the food waste is broken down and consumed by bacteria, fungi, microorganisms, worms, and insects. Over time, as much as 90 percent of the volume inside the Cone will get absorbed into the surrounding soil as compost water.

Read more here.