USB Thumb Drives for longterm data storage

By Michael Smith (Veshengro)

Simple answer – NO

usb-stick While USB thumb drives, aka USB keys, and other names, are great for carrying data around with you in order to use on another PC or by way of software diagnostic tools, etc., I cannot and would not ever recommend to use such flash drives (another name for them) for longer or even long term data storage.

Why am I saying that?

The answer also is simple: I have had more than one of them crash on me and thus causing me to lose the data on the stick. Luckily, however, I had backed up the contents of the flash drive on a hard drive and thus still did have the raw data. I say “raw data” as I had also used the drive to work with the articles that were on there and thus lost quite a bit of work.

Therefore using such drives for longer term or long term storage is not something that I would consider and not even with good quality ones, but definitely not with the “cheap” ones that one gets given, nowadays as promotional items at events and (trade) shows.

On the other hand, they may be safe and I have just had a couple of rogue ones. I am, personally, not prepared to take that risk though, especially not for data that is seriously valuable and that I also may be moving from the hard drive where it was stored before.

Also, when making backups and storing data, make duplicate copies of the data that you have “burned” to CDs or DVDs, and store those backups of the data in protected sleeves or better still jewel cases and in such a way that they are not being used.

Well, I already have mentioned the data storage media that I would recommend and that is optical storage, on CD or DVD, and in no other way.

It is true that CDs and DVDs also can fail and that is why I recommend the backups of the data on discs that are then stored well away in a safe place that is fireproof, as well as protected from sunlight and other influences that could cause the deterioration of the disc and thus the destruction of the data.

USB thumb drives are, however, as said, a definite NO, NO for longer term and long term data storage, and here especially for sensitive data and data you do not want to or cannot afford to lose.

© 2011