The Benefits of Stinging Nettles

Illustration_Urtica_dioica0.jpg

Stinging nettles are often thought of as a weed, but they have many health and nutritious benefits as well as being easy to grow or forage.

The basics

  • They lose their sting in the first 30 seconds of cooking.
  • They have more protein than any other edible plant I know of.
  • They will satisfy my hamburger cravings.
  • Harvest for eating before they are knee high.
  • The seeds and roots have medicinal value.
  • In the fall they can be used to make cordage - especially good for water cordage, like nets (hence the name).
  • Possibly the easiest plant food to dry and save for later

Jumping on the stinging nettle train

In 2001 I learned that lots of my animals liked to eat stinging nettles. In looking it up, I found that it was one of the best things they could eat. So good, that I should try to encourage growing it rather than discourage it.

Read more here.