Repair: Don’t simply Replace

by Michael Smith (Veshengro)

These days we have so many opportunities to buy new tools in order to replace the ones that have lost their shine or been dinged up from years of use, often rather cheaply too. But are they are same quality as the ones that have lost their shine, so to speak, or have been dinged a little? Probably not. And that would mean that buying new might mean to have to buy new soon again thus wasting money.

I have a number of hammers. For instance, from a tiny, light-weight furniture upholstery ones over tin-smith hammers to bolsters suitable for breaking things up, and others. But my favorite is an old, wooden handled little hammer that I found tossed out by someone.

I also have some other great old tools that I more than likely would be hard-pressed to find the same kind of replacement for today in this throw-away society of ours.

That little hammer does need a little TLC as it has some burs around the head but that can be sorted out with a little work with a file. My other favorite is a small old ball preen hammer that was my Grandfather's in the knife-grinding trade and became mine when I began that work. It needs a new handle, really, but it is the perfect hammer still for the jobs it is intended for.

I also have a new hammer that, too, was found. One with a metal shaft and a rubber handle but I have yet to become really impressed with such ones. Give me a proper hammer with a wooden handle any day and the same is true for hatchets and small axes, etc.

I have seen too man y metal handled hammers fold – literally – under strain; I am referring to the handle here, and then the hammer is useless as no new handle can be fitted.

I can often be found looking for old tools in thrift stores and such like and will, generally, take home any old tool that looks like it can be rescued, and this is especially true for tools and such that we find tossed out into the countryside.

First always consider repairing a tool before you even think of buying new...

© 2010