Recycling cereal packs into envelopes

By Michael Smith (Veshengro)

Many green companies nowadays have gone really green when it comes to envelopes with which to send products. They make them out of old cereal packets and I think this to be a great idea indeed.

“Scrapkins” use such envelopes, and I understand that in one of their next recycling books for kids they will have the instruction of how to make such envelopes, as does, so I understand, “Stay Vocal”. “Scrapkins” also use compliment slips cut from cereal carton and then using a stamp and handwriting for the message. Another great idea.

As regular readers (and Twitter and Facebook followers) will know I preach this kind of recycling and also live it. As I do not use cereals at home, however, I do not have such cartons as waste around the house and thus no need to find a need for them.

Other “card stock” from packaging, in my operations, are being turned into business/visiting cards, bookmarks, index cards, and similar.

Cereal cartons also can be cut to the same uses as what I put them to but, as they are larger, they also can make good sturdy shipping envelopes, of the “Priority Mail” kind, though coming entirely free, bar a little sticky tape or glue.

Lighter envelopes of the letter size and half-letter size can be made from string Kraft paper that one comes across at times too and the recycling-minded person, especially he or she who does the occasional shipping of things in such envelopes, whether the stronger ones or the Kraft kind of, should always be on the lookout for such materials.

© 2011