Green gimmicks

by Michael Smith

What do I mean with green gimmicks? The answer to that can be short or long but let's just cut it down to size and it is all those gadgets and things that are given the prefix of “green” and/or “eco” and which, in reality are not or not really.

Firstly, let me say that there are lots of things out there, whether gadgets or not, that have been given the prefix of “green” or “eco” but are in fact neither. Many are actually a burden on the environment.

The “eco-button” is one of those useless gadgets that I am trying to name and shame in this little article for using and abusing the name and notion of “eco” and “green”. The only thing that is green on the “eco-button” is the color. I like to point the reader to the review of this device within the pages of this journal (found here).

Another one of those gimmick, in my opinion, is the ceramic cup that looks like take out paper cup. Can someone please tell me who, in their right mind, would carry such a cup with them to go to, say, Starbucks, Wild Bean Cafe, or whichever other coffee outlet? While I am all for the notion of “bring your own” it has to be something that won't break should I happen to drop it. Hence the metal coated insulated mugs one can buy, whether at the outlets themselves or elsewhere, is a different kettle of fish but a ceramic cup; that is a load of greenwash but nothing else.

There are way too many gimmicks, as I have already indicated above, that are given, now, because of climate change, the prefix of “green” or “eco” and it beats me at times how they can even make such claims.

The biggest problem with this is that many consumers fall for the claims of those gadgets and other items that are thus claimed to be “green” and doing something to save the environment. Most people have not got the discernment, it would appear, to spot a gimmick and fake and also, as they want to do something for the environment, often as a kind of a conscience calming effort, that they go with all of those things.

While I have only mentioned those two items as regards to green gimmicks I am sure the readers will have their own encounters with such things and I invite you all here to share your experiences with the rest of us.

© M Smith (Veshengro), October 2008
<>